Learn how to smile and others will smile with you.
There are very few people who could call themselves perfect and be right. Most of us need to build our self confidence, but the majority of us either ignore the issues or concentrate on the negatives: stress, worry, jobs, money problems and relationship issues. Concentrating on these areas drains our self confidence rather than improving it.
If you could improve your self confidence you could make more money, look and feel better physically, or just be more relaxed with other people. Below there are five simple techniques that have been proven to help build self confidence today.
1.Talk to yourself. It sounds crazy but it works. All of us have a running monologue constantly in our heads, whether we realise it or not. Everything we see, hear, or touch sparks off an immediate dialog in our thoughts.
For those who lack confidence this monologue is filled with negative messages, many of which are the negative side of adverts from television, radio, newspapers, and just overhearing other people talk.
These negative thoughts literally suck energy from our minds and bodies and block the flow of positive messages. We need to hear the positive messages as they will build self confidence and raise our self esteem. Take control. Use your inner thoughts to talk to yourself in a positive manner, as often as you can.
As an example one of my regular sayings is “I like myself, I like myself, I like myself”. I just repeat it for a couple of minutes. It sounds cheesy, but does build self confidence – Try it. I bet that if you go to the mirror right now and repeat out loud “I like myself!” 50 times, it will be impossible to not smile.
2.Dress smartly and as classy as you can. You wont feel at your best if you don’t look your best. You will be amazed at just how much more confidence you will have just looking your best. It feels good when you are wearing your best clothes, are well groomed, and are surrounded by a clean environment. So what if it is Saturday, you need to build self confidence today not next week. Put on your nice clothes, get the car washed, style that hair! A hairdresser once told me “Everyday is show time!”
3.Give Thanks. Increase your self esteem even more by giving thanks to what you are, how you look, and what you are doing. Say “thank you” to yourself, to everything you see, everyone you meet, and each smile that you receive.
4.Stand or sit correctly: How you stand sends out a message to the World, and in turn, back to you. This results in improving how you feel about yourself and will build self confidence today and every day.
There is scientific evidence that shows how posture affects our mood. Do not slouch. Slouching produces a down mood. By slouching you are telling the world and yourself it doesn’t matter, you don’t matter. Standing tall and upright will actually lift your mood. Help build up your confidence by pulling back those shoulders, stop that slouch, and walk proud.
5.Smile. Just smile and things seem better somehow. Practice smiling regularly and get your facial muscles used to the physical act of smiling.
Go to the mirror and smile – make yourself. Not a grimace, but a proper smile. If you don’t think you can try this:
1)Open your eyes as wide as you can – (try and get your eyebrows right up to you hair line)
2)Slightly open your mouth
3)Pull the corners of your mouth back towards your ears (If your not sure pull them back with your fingers so you know what it feels like then try again without your fingers).
4)Repeat 50 times. Get your facial muscles used to smiling and you will smile more and encourage smiles from others. This will make you feel happier and with that you’ll build self confidence today.
6. Think positive. keep your thought positive. Your thoughts and feelings create your reality (Law of Attraction) It is impossible to monitor every though but when you catch yourself thinking negative thoughts think about something positive, a positive event or person and how you felt at that time.
7. Act positive. More than just thinking positively, you have to put it into action. Action, actually, is the key to developing self-confidence. It’s one thing to learn to think positive, but when you start acting on it, you change yourself, one action at a time. You are what you do, and so if you change what you do, you change what you are. Acting in a positive way, take action instead of telling yourself you can’t, be positive. Talk to people in a positive way, put energy into your actions. You’ll soon start to notice a difference.
12. Change a small habit. Not a big one, like quitting smoking. Just a small one, like writing things down. Or waking up 10 minutes earlier. Or drinking a glass of water when you wake up. Something small that you know you can do. Do it for a month. When you’ve accomplished it, you’ll feel like a million dollars. (check out the daily success habits in this course).
13. Be grateful. I’m a firm believer in gratitude. I put it here because while being grateful for what you have in life, for what others have given you, is a very humbling activity … it can also be a very positive and rewarding activity that will improve your self-image. Also, the more gratitude you send out the more the universe will send you to be grateful for. There is a whole section on gratitude later in the course.
14. Who inspires you. We often have role models or people we admire. It could be their image, their energy, their people skills, leadership skills, the way they make life seem so easy and uncomplicated or something else. Whatever Inspires you, think about who you would like to be by considering what it is in others that you admire and aspire to. If you can see it in others, you already have that quality in you.
15. Write an achievement list. If you look back at your life, what have you already achieved? Go back to school time writing down the exams you passed, the jobs you had, the friendships you made, experiences you had and so on. You will be surprised at how much you have already achieved, and sometimes it is not until we write it down that we can actually see how successful we have already been.
16.Spend time with people who make you feel good. You are already fabulous, it doesn’t hurt to keep being reminded!
Find people that inspire you, find out what they are doing to create successful lives, follow them on Facebook or twitter, read their blogs, books etc. Spend time with happy, successful people. People that make you feel good, encourage you to be the best you can be. Learn from them. These people will naturally boost your confidence. ( as discussed in finding your support team).
17. Boost your strengths. Do more of the things you are good at. Find ways to use and grow your strengths. It is your opportunity for the greatest growth and success in your life.
18. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are unique, with your own skills, values, beliefs and circumstances. You may think everyone is better than you are, but you are only seeing the image they portray to others. Everyone has their own fears and weaknesses — after all, we’re all human. Be happy being you.